Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale In The News Again

+14
Old Regulator
Mulldog
Spartacus
Dalelad
Atlas
UP THE DALE
teamplayer2
Shaza
Hinch
johnb
Chill37
cyfrifia
Charly
Poppyanna555
18 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Rochdale In The News Again - Page 12 Empty Re: Rochdale In The News Again

Post  Atlas Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:05 pm

No less than one expects. I suppose it will now cost us another half a million to feed and house them for 'their' duration. As you sew so shall ye reap. Mad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Whatever next?

Following the teeth whitening and so on. Mrs. Karen Danczuk has set up a media organisation to market herself, left politics, put the deli up for sale and seems poised to launch her career as a meaningless celebrity.

Hey ho.

What reality television progams might Karen D turn up on before too long? 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here', possibly.

A group of celebrities could be stranded in Rochdale and forced to eat takeaways to survive.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:17 am

She's probably no less talwented (I nearly got that wight) than most of those other so called 'celebs'. I go for that comment made the other day when one was talking about people like Churchill - what this country needs is more heroes and a lot less celebs -. You know it makes sense. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:52 am

Rochdale makes the BBC national news headlines again, with a report of rape.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-31221610

So, everything as normal.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm in favour of the 'Spartan' culture on this one.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:06 pm

Sparta, Sparta, read all about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta

How relevant Spartan culture is to Rochdale is an open question. A more relevant question is if and how much Karen Danczuks' dazzling celebrity career may impact on her husbands' political career, and how that might impact on Rochdale.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/94176/want-a-date-with-councillor-karen-danczuk

Last edited by cyfrifia on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 pm

My reference to 'Spartan culture' deals in this instance to the reported rape and the male coming of age (16) as dealt with in those times. It was common practice for the head of the household, usually the father, to present his male offspring with a 'lady of knowledge' on the advent of his 16th birthday in order that the mysteries of the opposite sex could be revealed in an instructive way. To be fair - most Spartan boys were expected to become warriors at this age and thus could be killed at an early age and before full manhood. Really a form of having tasted the full fruits of life should one not have the opportunity to live it.
And why this analogy -? Rape by teenagers contains a large element of frustration usually stemming from inadequacies of the individual under his own endeavors. At that age it is rarely a 'power' thing. More a hormonal/psychological event. My solution - let the little bugger have a taste but under controlled conditions.

I am awful am I not?
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:48 pm

The modern era kicked off with Freud and his theories, identifying sexual repression in society as being the root cause of most social and mental health problems. Perhaps Freuds' ideas were basically right and the same dynamics still apply.

Rochdale has a lot of rapes reported on a regular basis, maybe because it has a lot of social problems generally. It's not something people will find easy to talk about, but your idea of a 'spartan' approach does at least attempt to adress what is obviously a big problem.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:21 pm

I believe in NHS Brothels (as in controlled by) for 16 plus for both sexes. To my mind this would reduce considerably the problem of adolescent rape and of course those aged above. Not to mention STD's, unwanted pregnancies and many marital problems. There would be a confidentiality problem for some but I see no reason why such could not be overcome by proper policing. There would be a charge for the service to cover all costs with suitable reduction for students, unemployed, benefits etc. Sounds crazy. But not so when put against the cost to our society when confronted with the bills for all the ills that accrue from being blind to the realities of life. To me it comes in the same category as drugs and drug takers. I would similarly decriminalise the drug addict and come down much harder on the suppliers. But hey - what do I know. I've only lived with the problems for 70 years and watched the battles being continuously lost time and time again. Call me old-fashioned if you want. But many of our forefathers had far more 'nounce' than the last bunch since the war.
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Government and politics doesn't really concern itself with such problems, looks like whatever solutions there may be will have to come from within society in general rather then being 'organised' from above by the great and the good, they are too busy with their tax avoidance and other pressing issues.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:18 pm

Just finished reading some books on Disraeli and his life etc. Nothing changes. He spent half his time planning and filibustering to either gain power or stay in power. It sometimes left little over for the governance of the country of the day. There seems little point in having governments who cannot devote the major part of their time to the problems that beset the country. Which is also probably why it takes decades for what should be done to be enacted to solve the same. I can cite many recent passages that we talked about in our middle-age that are going or have gone through in recent years. It takes too long. The damage has been done and all that it succeeds in doing is to plaster up the cracks in a bid to maintain they have done their job.
Horse bolting and gates being closed comes to mind. It's a pity we have no option but to put up with it all on the basis that half a cake is better than none. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:11 pm

Very well expressed, Atlas, well said. Can't add to that really.

Meanwhile the only thing literally hitting the news headlines about Rochdale is
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bids-valentines-day-date-queen-8623818

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:24 am

Well it's not really for me to comment. Everyone must do that which 'turns them on' - always and providing it does no-one no harm. I would imagine she would do better pursuing almost anything than 'politics' which let's face it is a soul destroying occupation. If this is the way the lady wants to go then good luck to her. Doesn't do anything for me - then again they have to be something really extraordinary to flicker my interest. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:32 am

It's a bit difficult to know who is taking the mickey out of whom with this K.D. selfie-mad media fiesta. It does well illustrate how shallow, repetitive and trivial the news media generally are.

As discussed earlier, politics and also the media seem to be worlds of their own, unwilling or structurally unable to deal with the real issues.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:27 pm

To deal constructively with real issues at this juncture (impending General Election) would be suicidal for any political party as in the main such issues are unpopular and electorally damaging whilst in the 'cooking' thereof.
One must pander to all and hopefully cloud the real issues sufficiently until after re-election.
Due to mistakes of the past, done at the time to satisfy the power-brokers, this country is now hopelessly cosmopolitan in as much as too many diverse cultures and thus requirements are in constant demand. This leads to dissension across the board satisfying no-one. Co-Operatives rarely work well when all are of one race, colour and creed. Which leaves little room for what we are faced with today.
Few will voice such concerns. Even fewer would try to remedy them. Different colour, creed and cultures tend to ghettoize themselves believing that in numbers they have a greater security - until those barriers are stormed in one form or another by 'outsiders'. It's keeping the lid on that's the trick. Hey up - just how tricky are you?Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:32 pm

The UK has changed a lot, but the main political parties have remained much the same. Since the 1950's, established communities have been broken up and dispersed, under a variety of programs, starting with slum clearance, the closing down of industry and it's comunities, demolition and re-modelling of townscapes to look similar to each other, changing of traditional boundaries, a long, sustained, widespread and aparently purpouseful effort to dismantle and homogonise British society, replacing it with disconnected housing areas, then immigrant areas of various kinds, a huge program of work really, over many decades, to arrive at where we are now. Not sure why they did that, the way they did, but there it is. It must become less likely to get concensus in a more widely diverse, overpopulated, underemployed and economically divided society. It sometimes seems that the more channels there are on tv, the less there is worth watching.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:48 am

The media saga of Karen Danczuk, now famous for her 'selfies', develops into a story of childhood sexual abuse in the news today.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Well of course it does. There had to be some skeletons in the cupboard. There always are. Especially from the 'wanna-be' seekers who have an aversion at being unnoticed or a feeling of being inconsequential. Par for the course. Book next -. Sixty Shades of Crap. Tele interviews. Radio with Jeremy Vine. All on the cards.
Just stay off my radio and television you talentless wally.
As for multiple channels and multiple dross - of course. It's like multiples of anything. It's down to the lowest common denominator. Forgone conclusion before initiation - any fool would have known that.
And whilst we are discussing this rubbish it keeps us focused - but not on the things that really matter. Good in't it.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Sad Twisted Evil
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Your reaction to Karens' story seems rather grumpy. It does seem to be a genuine story, even if it is appearing in a rather odd 'celebrity' context.

Acording to all reports, Rochdale seems to have 'child sexual abuse' written through it like lettering in a stick of rock.

As for being in a grumpy mood, the news generally, especially international hasn't put me in a brilliant mood today either.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:50 am

Whatever Karen's story is or isn't I get the feeling this is turning into a 'bandwagon' jobbie. Selling books on supposed 'celeb' status gives me the pip. It's like Rooney's life story at 23 years old - affraid - what story, what life? He hasn't lived one yet. As for Karen. We can all tell stories of our childhoods - I already have. Four in total. But mine sell on personal merit not 'crap'. Or a semi-famous husband. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:42 am

Rochdale Online is running the Karen Danczuk story as news headlines today.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news

It's understandable celebrity stories 'give you the pip', Atlas. The celebrity industry is tedious, but there it is, that's the way the media works.

Despite the celebrity status, Karen's story comes across as true and relevant, if the result is a renewed focus on child protection.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:11 am

Karen D makes her usual full page splash in the mailonline. Today expressing support for UKIP policies and saying "We need to be screaming about immigration."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2956669/Ed-Miliband-didn-t-know-look-Selfie-queen-wife-Karen-Danczuk-says-awkward-Labour-leader-struggled-faced-cleavage.html

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:16 pm

If you were the CPS your first question might be - 'what took you so long'? Your second question - how are you going to prove it? And the third question - Ooooo I don't think I want to ask that one. Does one now have to become a Z-list celeb before one can seek justice?
Showing ones boobs and having a chat is one thing. It should have been left at that. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Neutral
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:46 pm

I am bored with this story now, but it will probably rattle on, the appetite for celebrity stories seems to be insatiable. This story has, as they say, legs, and as you mention, boobs. It could go on for some time.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Rochdale in the national news again.

Back to the more usual Rochdale sexual attack /exploitation/ grooming/ rape .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-31695832

Good to see action being taken.

"Further arrests are anticipated."
http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/94488/ten-men-charged-with-sexual-exploitation

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next