Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale In The News Again

+14
Old Regulator
Mulldog
Spartacus
Dalelad
Atlas
UP THE DALE
teamplayer2
Shaza
Hinch
johnb
Chill37
cyfrifia
Charly
Poppyanna555
18 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Rochdale In The News Again - Page 3 Empty Re: Rochdale In The News Again

Post  Charly Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Are you saying its ok for students to turn up and find they havent got a tutor for that day?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  UP THE DALE Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

No I am not saying that. I am saying there could be many reasons why the tutor might not be there, and it's the responsibility of the institution to make sure someone is there to teach/provide work for the students.
UP THE DALE
UP THE DALE
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 am

Two more council directors departing - Rochdale Online

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/127/council-watch/76206/two-more-council-directors-departing

Two more pending Voluntary Redundancies ref regeneration and communities senior management …

There are also rumours that large voluntary redundancy numbers are very soon to be actioned, under Colin Lambert-Steve Harpers' latest divestment venture, with scant to zero regard for essential skill retention! Mad

Does anyone know what happened to Colin Lambert-Steve Harpers ' Double Your Money' voluntary redundancy exit plans for RMBC employees?

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 am

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 pm

I agree with you Spartacus, shameful behaviour!

I see he played the tried and trusted race card too, so tiresome.... Rolling Eyes
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:25 pm

A dirty rotten scoundrel no doubt, but whats the connection to 'Rochdale in the news'?
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 am

Charly wrote:A dirty rotten scoundrel no doubt, but whats the connection to 'Rochdale in the news'?

Good question, Charly! When I posted the link yesterday the Daily Fail reported the incident had happened in Rochdale on the way back from Oldham to Rochdale. Positive it also report that both victim and driver were from Rochdale although the case was trialled in Oldham.

I'm sure I didn't imagine it! Looks like it's been edited since. Suspect

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm

He worked for Motown Cars, seems they are a taxi firm based in Oldham, that's not to say that it didn't happen in Rochdale though. He has apparently put his house up for sale to fund an appeal, hope he loses his house, his behaviour was contemptible!

Last edited by Poppyanna555 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

The now ex- taxi driver was found guilty, given a four-month sentence suspended for a year, 150 hours community service, and ordered to pay £895 compensation and costs. Got off rather lightly for a nasty crime I think.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 pm

Charly wrote:A dirty rotten scoundrel no doubt, but whats the connection to 'Rochdale in the news'?

ENCORE
Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am

I see that the SUN newspaper have produced a two page spread in yesterdays paper slamming the Falinge Estate...again, labeling it the UK's Worst 'Welfare Ghetto'.

Colin Lambert is reported to have commented that the Government's figures on Falinge deprivation, released this month, come from data collected in 2009 and do not reflect the current situation adding that the percentage of working-age residents claiming Jobseekers' Allowance has fallen over the last 12 months by 13.1 percent.

The SUN state that there are 902 jobs in the centre of town with 6,129 within a 10 mile radius.

This newspaper just won't let go, there must be many other deprived areas they could report on but instead they continue to feed on old news that goes back 3 years.

By the way, I don't buy the SUN, in fact I don't pay for any newspapers, I read newspaper articles on the internet. This newspaper was passed on to me by my neighbour who is somewhat 'up in arms' about the report Exclamation

[i]
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartacus Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:04 pm

And there's more! In the Daily Fail Online:

"Revealed: £72m was staked on slot machines in Rochdale last year - that's £340 for every man, woman and child who lives there"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267057/Staggering-72m-staked-crack-cocaine-gambling-machines-Rochdale-year.html

Spartacus
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Well, someone spent my share..coz it wasn't me! Mad
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm

I must admit, my local bookmakers is busy every day with the local drug dealers spending their ill-gotten gains!
Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Income tax was supposed to be a temporary measure to fund the Napoleonic wars. It's not a good idea to tax people for working, it's a disincentive. It would be a better idea to tax crime. There seems to be more money available there anyway.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 am

Yes. I can see it now. All criminals please inform us of your crimes and status and don't forget to fill in your tax forms before the 6th Jan stating amount of monies earned for each 'crime'. And er - thank you. Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 am

The self assessment scheme you envisage for criminals might not work completely smoothly. A more efficient and determined siezure of the assets of crime, via the court system, and investment of that money into providing jobs for legitimate workers who were then taxed less, would mean those workers then had more money to spend into the economy. One way or the other, the system as it stands,with drug dealers pouring money into gambling machines, could perhaps be improved on in some way. Cool

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:46 am

Have you the slightest notion of the 'costs' of asset seizure? Do you seriously think (of course you don't) that such a system would benefit the nation affraid As a deterrent it requires our continued backing if only to ensure 'some' crimes do not actually pay. There are many examples throughout our society and system where a 'levy' or 'fine' (secured by court order) would act as a deterrent and help defray the costs of our 'freedoms' when those 'freedoms' are abused or taken for granted. One incident springs to mind - the man who sees himself as a competent 'mariner' and goes to sea in the worst weather just for the 'thrill'. He has now been rescued 16 times. At what cost to the rest of us??? Not a criminal act and not sanctionable. There are many ways we, as a society, except unnecessary costs to our wallets. This has just been one of them - Wink
Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Atlas wrote:This has just been one of them - Wink

After the economic collapse, there are two approaches to UK recovery, one, the bottom line, reducing spending and the cost of debt interest. Two, rearranging the systems and rules governing moneyflow through the various systems, to put the economy and society of the UK into a semblance of working order. We are in the bottom line austerity phase now, and it's going to be rough. Re-arranging ludicrous wastes and misuses of money, and investing in creating jobs instead needs to happen sooner or later. Maybe sooner would be better.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Granada Reports have today aired a report on Rochdale, highlighting the fact that 72 million was spent on gambling last year. They interviewed 'Daz' (Darren) who 'can't get a job' but was filmed feeding money from his benefits into a slot machine where he'd just won £55 for a tenner, of course he did not say how much he'd lost first.

They made a good point though, as they filmed on Yorkshire Street they reported that there are 5 bookies and 2 amusement arcades on there alone and that begged the question 'are the most deprived areas being targeted'?

Of course they are! Evil or Very Mad

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Seeing as it's all perfectly legal and there are millions of pounds available, perhaps the council could open a leisure gambling facility with these machines, and then not need to increase the council tax? Cool

With some adjustments to local byelaws, social entrepreneurs like this chap http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268182/The-oldest-pimp-town-Grandfather-77-handed-140-000-fine-running-brothels-claims-keeping-women-safe.html could work with the council leisure services to offer additional profitable attractions.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulldog Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the £72m staked isn't being done so by our "Daz" types.
Mulldog
Mulldog
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:50 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21766742

Rochdale in the news again today, the BBC do a feature on Falinge, and ask "Are there 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor?"

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 pm

They are also asking for comments for the programme on Friday morning
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down