Rochdale Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale In The News Again

+14
Old Regulator
Mulldog
Spartacus
Dalelad
Atlas
UP THE DALE
teamplayer2
Shaza
Hinch
johnb
Chill37
cyfrifia
Charly
Poppyanna555
18 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Rochdale In The News Again - Page 5 Empty Re: Rochdale In The News Again

Post  Guest Sat May 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Kiss My Ass ... Rochdale granny's blues song on BGT tonight

Rock chic OAP Kelly Fox tells the judges to ‘Kiss My Ass’ | News | STV

http://shows.stv.tv/britains-got-talent/news/224971-bgt-rock-chic-oap-kelly-fox-tells-the-judges-to-kiss-my-ass/

Watch Kelly’s hilarious and “inspiring” Very Happy performance in the video above.

Retired Sandra Broadbent, aged 72 this year, from Rochdale, who performed under the stage name Kelly Fox, belted out Kiss My Ass, Baby , by the The All Purpose Blues band from New Orleans. --- A raunchy rendering by a Rochdale character ....

A positive bit of TV coverage ? --------- Views ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly Sat May 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Yes, I saw her. The judges loved her even though when she came on Simon Cowell said 'gimme a break'
She was full of life to say she was 72, good luck to her Laughing
Charly
Charly
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun May 12, 2013 10:26 am

Kelly did well, she sings with a real blues feeling. The blues is (or was?) well embedded in Lancashire culture, with a few festivals, like at Colne.

The man who went round destroying estate agent signs is in the national news. What he did was a bit mad, but I can understand the feeling about letting agents and what they get away with.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 pm

cyfrifia wrote: Kelly did well, she sings with a real blues feeling. The blues is (or was?) well embedded in Lancashire culture, with a few festivals, like at Colne.

Rolling Eyes Apparently it's not allowed to be straightforward.

Outcry at sexualised ‘family’ TV viewing

Mediawatch-UK director’s thoughts lead on an Express report and ‘suggests’ profuse complaints about the Rochdale singer Kelly's performance; http://libreprensa.com/k/_/695360%20-%20s/479123#s/479123

In the meantime, the Rochdale granny goes viral. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErKb09nePU

http://talent.itv.com/2013/videos/auditions/watch_kiss-this-kelly-fox-shocks_item_200681.htm

Perhaps Miss Patterson of Mediawatch-UK will direct at least similar zeal to all partner-swopping scenarios, lustful behaviour, sexualised innuendos, decadent speech and the constant alcohol consumption seen in the pre-watershed TV “ Soaps !

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun May 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Perhaps this killjoy needs to learn that bad-ass blues isn't about moons and Junes and ferris wheels. It's about bad liquor, betrayal, lust and good, old-fashioned screwing. Live with it whydoncha?

Honestly!

Beats the beejasus out of ”I'm Going Back to Rochdale".
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Sun May 12, 2013 3:08 pm

I think she is or was part of the Lloyd family of tarmac contractors in Heywood. I imagine she thought claiming Rochdale as her home would give her more publicity. She is right there. I am glad she did.

Last edited by past it on Sun May 12, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppyanna555 Sun May 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Hinch wrote:

Ha ha Hinch....too right it does! lol!

Poppyanna555
Poppyanna555
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Poppyanna555 wrote:
Hinch wrote:

Ha ha Hinch....too right it does! lol!

cheers "Beats the beejasus" seems an understatement: the follow-up You Tube clip alone had over 500,000 viewings in just 4 days !

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Thu May 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Kiss my ass MJH!
Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Hinch wrote:Kiss my ass MJH!

"Yo, man, Very Happy nice lid "

It’s not my preferred music genre, but it got some smile muscles going … just trying to be positive.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Rochdale on the TV news this evening, something about sex abuse, as usual.  

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 am

More people notice when it's on the telly though, don't they? The connection the media make between Rochdale and child abuse now seems to be unshakeable and stereotyped. Is it fair and reasonable though It must be damaging in many ways for Rochdale to have that media reputation.

"Police are investigating 54 alleged gangs in a crackdown on child grooming in England and Wales", and "2,409 children and young people had been confirmed as victims of sexual exploitation by gangs or groups between August 2010 and October 2011."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22617339

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Radio 4 reporting about Rochdale grooming ( again) today, concentrating on what the council is doing about it, surveillance on takeaways and taxi firms, training of staff, information for children etc.

What was remarked on was that sessions for parents, on how grooming operates, and what to do about it, are hardly being attended at all. It was suggested many parents are unaware of the problem. Some people don't bother with the news at all, so it's possible they either know nothing, or, think it could never happen to them?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:21 pm

cyfrifia wrote:Radio 4 reporting about Rochdale grooming ( again) today, concentrating on what the council is doing about it, surveillance on takeaways and taxi firms, training of staff, information for children etc.

What was remarked on was that sessions for parents, on how grooming operates, and what to do about it, are hardly being attended at all. It was suggested many parents are unaware of the problem. Some people don't bother with the news at all, so it's possible they either know nothing, or, think it could never happen to them?

So, did anyone comment then on where these "sessions" for parents are being held, the catchment, and how the sessions are being marketed/promoted? ---- This type of grooming didn't acquire the label of 'A Culture Of Silence' for nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:51 pm

The chat about Rochdale was on Radio 4 'World at One'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0213yzp
The relevant bit starts 21 minutes in.

And yesterday, about the work of the Sunrise team, Quote; " A lot of the activities focus on the town's takeaways and taxi firms, the nightime economy which acts as a hub for recruiting, grooming, moving the girls around. Flats above takeaways are being used a place where rape and sexual abuse takes place."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0211hnc
35 minutes in.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Rochdale man sentenced for Royal Marine manslaughter

Media quote, ‘He will serve the sentence at a young offender institution.’

Does anyone know why a 20-year-old should serve a four year prison sentence (halved to 2 years) at a young offenders’ institute, rather than moving to an adult prison in seven months time?  A suggestion of even earlier “in community” release, curfew, tagging, etcetera, seems improbable, surely, ...

The cost of one punch – killed by single blow to the face -   http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/290711788-cost-one-punch-rochdale-man-jailed-manslaughter-teen-royal-marine-%E2%80%93-killed-single-

Back to top Go down

Post  past it Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:47 pm

The offence presumably would have been committed when he was a juvenile or a young offender. I think that is respectively 18 and 20.
The sentence will reflect that.

past it
Crew
Crew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:10 pm

past it wrote:The offence presumably would have been committed when he was a juvenile or a young offender. I think that is respectively 18 and 20.  The sentence will reflect that.

Thank you past it.    Yes, I understand that the offence was committed less than a month ago, on 1st July 2013, when the Rochdale male subsequently found guilty today of manslaughter was already aged 20.

I thought there was an upper age limit of 21 years for 'time' spent in a young offender institute, after which a prisoner was transferred to an adult place of detention for the remainder of a custodial sentence Shocked     

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 am

It's possible that some advice on the subject of 'suitability' was reflected in the medical reports. Many 20 years olds are 'not' - if you get my drift.

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 pm

According to The Times newspaper of today 9th of November 2013

" Rochdale will be scarred for ever by the systemic child protection failings that in past years allowed groups of men to groom and abuse young teenagers in the town with virtual impunity."

For ever is a long time. Will the 'grooming' scandal be forgotten in five, ten, twenty years? Perhaps, depending whether it really is all in the past, but in the meantime, yes, the damage done to the reputation of Rochdale is . . . . considerable.

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinch Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 am

Several months ago, Jim Taylor and Colin Lambert said that Rochdale would become a 'beacon' for others to follow regarding the town's robust stance on this issue and their determination to put things right.

Unfortunately, what I have seen and heard since gives me no confidence that we have done much more than scrape the surface and I don't think that vulnerable youngsters are any safer now than they were two years ago. This is not just my self-admitted cynicism but is the result of what I see, read and hear.

If I were a national media organisation seeking to run a story on the issue, it would seem natural to send a film crew to Rochdale.

From the days of Cyril Smih's involvement in his predatory abuses at Cambridge House in the 60's and continuing to the present day; 45 years later, it is evident that there is a refusal or inability to deal with these issues.

In the case of Smith, the waters seem to have been muddied by his untouchability because of his local and national reputation. In more recent cases, the complication seems to be at least in part due to our inability, refusal or unwillingness to tackle the specific cultural context surrounding the issues.

Forever is a long time but these are scars that run extremely deep.

Hinch
Hinch
Spaceship Commander
Spaceship Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  cyfrifia Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:06 am

Well explained, Hinch. Hope you are doing well after your op.

Talk of Rochdale as a 'beacon' of child safety may be well intended, but as yet entirely unconvincing. The habit of 'cover-up' is a dead weight on progress.

Reporting of the main 'grooming gang' cases shows the pattern of adult male asian and african gangs and white female child victims is obvious. The consequences of immigration from very different cultures and circumstances needs to be better understood, and always should have been managed better.

Failure to recognise the 'psychology of immigration', the need for assessment, integration, settlement, psychological support and monitoring for immigrants of various status, asylum seekers, failed asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, first, second and third generation is behind this problem, has led to a disturbed society, and economic disadvantages the 'grooming' label stuck on Rochdale may now have.

Work towards this 'beacon' status, a new label for for Rochdale needs to happen in earnest, as a matter of urgency. Either it will or it won't, two separate futures for Rochdale, which will it be?

cyfrifia
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 am

Only time will tell.affraid 

Integration has been missed off the agenda by all politicians ever since the 1950s. Great expectations are no measure for success. It's all too late now. The process could be reversed but would take many more generations than would have been necessary had the process been properly addressed in the first place.

Who dares wins.  But we have spineless leaders. So no chance there then.Sad

Atlas
Atlas
Time Lord
Time Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 am

The First Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers’ homecoming parade route revealed

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/83641/fusiliers-homecoming-parade-route-revealed

To be held next Tuesday morning at 11.00 am.   

There’s comments in the above article from Council Leader Colin Lambert about the whole community getting involved, showing pride in the Armed Forces, the council being proud to support the homecoming and such events being fantastic for soldiers’ morale.  

Razz   I hope he’s passed these sentiments onto all of his local party councillors, as well as to the media

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next